3 Steps to creating better habits
Say hello to the ex-QUEEN of multitasking. For a very long period of time, I used to take pride in my multitasking abilities. Oh yes, baby! Having 100 tabs opened, and a never-ending TO DO LIST, was my gem!
The real question is: Was I really productive? Hell, no! I was stressed out juggling through so many things at the same time. It wasn’t until I decided to do one task at a time that I began to be truly productive. You see, OUR HABITS make up OUR LIVES.
Having powerful habits is not such a trendy topic, but it is crucial for how we experience our lives. I don’t know about you, but I love me some less-stressful more productive life. The one thing highly successful people have in common is the use and implementation of extremely effective HABITS. The funny thing is that most of the things that we do on a daily basis are out of Habits. It is an unconscious process, like brushing our teeth or making the bed. Before we jump in, it’s important to set correct expectations around the Habit Formation process. The reality is that it is not an easy process; it takes time and dedication.
1. The first 10 days may feel INTOLERABLE. Us humans hate exchange and any pattern interruption will cause resistance.
2. Once you get more accustomed to the habit change you will start to recognise the benefit of this new habit, however, it may still feel a little UNCOMFORTABLE.
3. If you made it to the third phase, NO ONE CAN STOP YOU NO MORE. By this point, you have seen the benefits of this new habit, and it became like brushing your teeth type of easy.
NOW IS THE TIME TO CREATE NEW HABITS
1. GET CLEAR ON WHAT YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE
Start journaling and figure out what is it that you want to create differently in your life. Here are some questions for you to reflect on:
Describe your best self in 3 words?
1. Write down the areas of your life you do not experience the best results in…
2. The activities that I currently engage with that bring me the most joy are…
3. The activities that I currently do that bring me the most stress …
Journal till you feel like you are pretty clear as in where you are AT RIGHT NOW. Remember, you can’t get to your destination if you don’t know your starting point.
2. Create a list of HABITS that HAVE TO GO
This step is crucial. You know these habits wear you down, stress you out, take away your joy & peace of mind.
After you created the list commit to one habit that you will leave behind forever. You gotta commit to it and keep yourself accountable.
3. Pick a micro-habit
Create a no-brainer habit. This habit is so simple that it is impossible for you not to do it. Mine is that every morning I go to the garden and take 10 deep breaths. It literally takes 2 minutes, but I get to start my day in a beautiful way.
This is about you creating a muscle for new habits. If you commit to one small habit, you will realise that it is doable and will feel more motivated to start implementing even more.
Alright, this is all from me today. All the best with your new habits.